The Hallwyl Museum
The museum is characterized by its visionary founder, Wilhelmina von Hallwyl. The house was built and tailormade for Wilhelmina von Hallwyl’s collections of Dutch and Flemish art, antique furniture, silver, European and East Asian porcelain. Wilhelmina and her husband, Walther von Hallwyl, moved in to Hallwyl house in 1898. The collection would eventually grow into an ethnographic project and all items for everyday use would be kept and preserved. The museum’s diverse collections create a multitude of facets of the past. The house and collections were donated to the Swedish state in 1920. The museum opened in 1938.